Troy Dog’s Shack: The Family and I Survived RedBud

I knew I was in over my head. A two-year-old and a seven-month-old are going to RedBud in a 20’ camper with a hole in the water tank. To make matters more difficult, Troy and his lovely freckle-faced wife Ginger Dog didn’t decide to go to the race until the Tuesday before it. That means we had to get to the grocery store on Wednesday, I had to drive an hour each way to my dad’s house on Thursday night to pack the camper, and pack all the rest of the crap we had on Friday before we left. What a fairytale!

Of course we left in a frenzy around 4 p.m. Friday evening. RedBud is a four hour drive north for us Kentuckians. I knew if we were lucky we could make it there by 8:30 p.m. at the latest and set up with the lights on and hopefully get Sam Dog a bottle and comfortable in his pack n’ play. Maybe he could sleep before the fireworks at 10:30 p.m.?

The coolest part of the drive was the bumper to bumper traffic on this random backroad we had to take. We were stuck on this for an hour and our boys were starting to get a little stir crazy. Ginger Dog did an incredible job at keeping them busy. I got in the group text with Bird, Chili, and Slaw to tell them I regretted the decision to go. 

Once we got through that rough spot it was clear sailing to the track. We pulled in and got our wristbands around 9 p.m. and set off to find a spot in lot A4. I knew I didn’t want to be near the night track because they race motos there until about 4 a.m. We pulled up close to the fence of a surprisingly empty lot B about 10 miles from the pro track. It was about all that was left. We got a grumpy Sam Dog to bed and everything organized just in time for the fireworks. Bub Dog was stoked to be camping. Besides a week of vacationing in Florida when he was 8 months old, he’s never slept anywhere but his house. I scooped him up in a blanket and sat him on my truck and we had a fun time watching the show. We parked right by the hill where they set them off. 

Friday night was cold. Once we got the little dudes to bed, Ginger Dog and I had a delicious meal of turkey sandwiches at midnight. G-Dog said it was cold and then proceeded to say we didn’t need the heat on. At 2 a.m., I was woken up by her again telling me that the camper was cold, despite her not having the best attire on for camping. I didn’t know if she was going to the beach or not with what she had on. I agreed and asked again if she wanted me to crank the heat on… and the answer was still no. An hour later a pack of 5-7 year olds started shredding on some jumps behind our camper. It was the middle of the night you know? Why wouldn’t you shred? Ginger Dog said it was cold AGAIN… so this time I said screw it and turned the generators on. An hour later Sam Dog wanted to eat another bottle…can I get a REDBUD?!

Saturday morning was a blur. I remember trying to get Bub Dog to eat breakfast and getting him dressed. Then he and I walked up to the track and we were just in time to watch the first 450 Group A practice. We walked up and Bub did not know what to think. He just kept yelling “dirt bike” and he wanted to explore. I tried showing him the sand whoops and LaRocco’s Leap and told him how important those areas are on the track. He gave me a blank stare and continued to shove rocks through the fence. We stopped by the Red Bull tent to buy Ginger Dog this $900 Jett Lawrence shirt that she said sold out online before she could buy it. Can I get a RedBud now?

The rest of the day consisted of eating and naps for the little broskis. I strolled Sam Dog up to watch the second 250 moto. This is where I learned about Har Dog’s DNF and DNS. That was rough news for me there. By the way, I couldn’t tweet, let alone text or call anyone from the track due to the amount of people at the track. So, it was a nice break from the constant buzz from my phone everyday. Bub Dog couldn’t watch Paw Patrol, Monster Trucks, or Blip Dog and he could just concentrate on family time.

When the last moto of the day was getting ready to take off, Bub woke up from his nap and Ginger Dog and I finally had a chance to bring the entire family up to the track. We watched most of the moto and headed back to make some dinner and we kind of called it a night from that point. If I remember correctly I think we all were in bed by 8 p.m., which never happens, and we all stayed there until morning. I got up through the night to turn the AC on and off and to give Sam Dog a bottle. The kiddos slept through the monstrous firework display, which was a miracle in itself. We got up and were back on the road by 9 a.m.

This trip was one of the most unorganized, most difficult, poop shows that I’ve ever been a part of. It went by in the blink of an eye. Ginger Dog was the hero of the event. Without her there to take care of nap duty I wouldn’t have been able to be up at the track as often as I was. In all I got to watch a practice session and about two full motos, which was more than I thought I would. I was set to meet up with Har Dog, but a fan rolled up and over him as he was sitting on the hillside. After a rough day he was over it and I don’t blame him. 

Will we end up going back next year to make this a yearly trip? I hope so. I’ll never forget this event. It was special. It was the first real RedBud event since the pandemic. The place was packed. We enjoyed seeing so many people celebrate together and appreciate motocross in person again. Hopefully I can grow the Troy Dog Squad so much for next year that we will all be shouting TROY DOG as well as *ahem* REEEDBUUUD!

One Comment

  1. Good Job Dad. Keep up the good work.

    My Dad took me to Redbud when I was 10- it changed my life forever. That was 40 years ago and a life long passion for motorcycles. I took my kids to Redbud as tiny dudes too. Keep the family in moto!

Written by Troy Dog

Slower than Slaw Dog

Anaheim Will Host the 2022 Monster Energy Supercross Season Opener

Yamaha Announces Expanded Lineup of 2022 Two-Stroke Motocross Bikes